database access

Thread: database access

Default database access

I have an access 2000 database that I created myself. When I double click on the mdb file it asks me for a user name and password which I enter in and can do everything to the database.<BR><BR>When I connect to the database via asp I don&#039;t pass in the user name and password and it connects fine. What username and password is it using then?. <BR><BR>I am asking because I am trying to access the master database where I have only read access and I am getting the following message.<BR><BR>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)<BR>[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open registry key &#039;Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x5c4 Thread 0x6e0 DBC 0x1782a74 Jet&#039;.<BR><BR>when I try to open the database in vb it says I dont have the necessary permissions but I can open the database by double clicking it.<BR><BR>Hope this all makes sense!<BR>Sinead

Default RE: database access

If you do not supply a username and password, you will default to logging in as Admin.<BR><BR>This is a common issue when securing Access databases. Many people don&#039;t realise that unless you create a new login with Admin rights and then DELETE the Admin user, your database is still not secured.<BR><BR>To truely secure the database you MUST delete the Admin user, but DO NOT do so until you have created a new user with full admin rights.<BR><BR>As for the registry message, I don&#039;t know what is causing it. Have you tried Microsofts site ?