How to track downloads?

Thread: How to track downloads?

Luc Van Dyck Guest

Default How to track downloads?

I want to keep track of how many times my files are being downloaded. Can someone point me to a resource for this?

Default RE: How to track downloads?

Web server software has been built with very good logging options. Ask your web host how to access your web site&#039s log files. From there, you can analyze how many times your pages are being viewed, from where, what time, where your visitors are coming from, etc.

Luc Van Dyck Guest

I understand that. But I am looking for a solutions as eg. Tucows. When you click on a file you want to download, you are being redirected to an asp-file that counts the download, and starts the file-transfer.

Paul Merton Guest

The solution for this one is fairly simple, and I have used it on many occasions in various ways.<BR><BR>All you need to do is have all download links going to an ASP page that runs the necessary SQL to increment a counter and after you have closed the database connection, you can then do a Response.Redirect("...") to the file that is to be downloaded.<BR><BR>If you make all links of the form "" then you can use Request("filename") to find out which file to redirect to and which record on the database needs to be updated.<BR><BR>Hope that helps,<BR>