I&#039m trying to do something that seems like it should be straightforward, but after several hours of struggling I can&#039t make it work.<BR><BR>I have a timestamp field in an MS-SQL table. That&#039s got a varbinary(8) data type. When I&#039m in the SQL query analyzer, my queries can display the timestamp field as a hex string. But I can&#039t seem to figure out how get that hex string into an ASP script.<BR><BR>After a lot of fruitless work with the sql cast and convert functions, I found a doc on the MS site that says there is no MS-SQL built in function that converts varbinary to hex. But they gave me a stored procedure that will do it. The stored procedure works -- again, only under the sql query analyzer.<BR><BR>I can&#039t for the life of me figure out of the SQL engine.<BR><BR>I&#039ve been trying to use the following SQL sceheme: declare a variable, run a select statement that puts the ts field into that variable, then run an exec on the stored procedure, which is called hexadecimal. When I run that in query analyzer, the result is listed under the column heading "hexadecimal".<BR><BR>But when I take my table cursor and try to query that field (ie, tc("hexadecimal") I don&#039t get anything. I&#039ve tried running code that looks at the field names in the record set, and the field name seems to be blank. Doing tc("") doesn&#039t work, and neither does tc(0).<BR><BR>My next attempt will be to rewrite the stored procedure so that it stores the hex representation of the timestamp field in another field of a different table (under the assumption that using the same table would change the timestamp, which changes every time the record changes). Presumably I&#039ll be able to query that. But this is so unbelievably ugly that I&#039m positive I&#039m doing something really wrong and stupid.<BR><BR>How do I get a timestamp field out of a database? And if you need a stored procedure to do it, how do you get the return value of a stored procedure to an ASP script?<BR><BR>I know this is stupid, and I apologize for asking such a dumb question. I&#039m new here.<BR><BR>Thanks...<BR><BR>Alex Strasheim