Partially caching pages

Thread: Partially caching pages

Default Partially caching pages

I know that ASP.NET will enable partial caching of ASP pages to improve performance, but I was wondering if there is any way to fudge it in straight ASP.<BR><BR>I have seen an example where a section of a page (for example a section that tells you whether your are logged in or not) is set to expire immediately while the rest of the page is cached to the browser by using a script include as follows:<BR><BR>&#060;script language="LanguageHere" src="/sourceFileHere"&#062;&#060;/script&#062;<BR><BR>The script that detects login info is held in this include and has a different expiration value to that of the rest of the page. By this, I mean that the page itself is set to expire in 20 minutes, but this little include is set to expire immediately.<BR><BR>I can&#039;t get this to work and can no longer find the source of the suggestion as it was in a borrowed book I no longer have access to.<BR><BR>Has anybody ever seen or tried this or any other solution?<BR><BR>Many thanks.

Default RE: Partially caching pages

What you&#039;re talking about is keeping client-side script in a seperate file. The browser will cache this file the first time it is downloaded. However, that&#039;s a completely different issue to actually caching part of a page.<BR><BR>The big problem with trying to do this sort of caching in ASP is that you don&#039;t have an equivalent of the CacheManager. Of course you could write your own, but that&#039;s hard-core multi-threaded C++ required...<BR><BR>Dunc