Thread: Numbering

Default Numbering

Ok, i have to insert pages one insert page that always inserts the first question and then i have another insert page that keeps getting called for the rest of the questions.<BR><BR>My question is for the best way to have for the second page starting with question #2 to be incremented when submit is hit to 3 and then to 4 when hit again, BUT when the user hits refresh the page number remains the same and does not increment.<BR><BR>What do you think?

Default Use a Session variable?

&#060;%<BR>pagenum = Session("pageNumber")<BR>If pagenum = "" Then pagenum = 0<BR>pagenum = pagenum + 1<BR>Session("pageNumber") = pagenum<BR>Response.Write "Page #" & pagenum<BR>%&#062;<BR><BR>???<BR><BR>Unless the refresh happens in the browser cache [and you can prevent that by any of the several methods people have suggested elsewhere...if not on 4Guys, try], then each refresh will get a new page number.<BR><BR>*NOW*...what do you do about the person who hits refresh without filling in any information? They&#039;ll go to another page, anyway???<BR><BR>Sure you don&#039;t want to have this depend on a database??<BR><BR>

Default You're Livin' on a Prayer.. he he he

I&#039;m confused about what your pages are doing? If you pass the number that you want to display or insert in a querystring or form then you won&#039;t have problems w/ refresh.<BR><BR>Page one displays question passes response to page to which inserts to DB then increments questionID and redirects back to page one.<BR><BR>Give more detail on what your pages do if you want more help.