Null Values in Access DB

Thread: Null Values in Access DB

Troy the ASP Boy Guest

Default Null Values in Access DB

my site allows users to register with an email,password, and username. when they do this a new record in created in my access database (using ASP/OBDC DSN).<BR><BR>the next step is for them to login and enter info in a form that reads values from their records. i have had some problems with null values in related pages.<BR><BR>my question is: to eliminate problems should i save a default value (ex: "not entered") into the fields that they choose to enter nothing in. or is their a better way to deal with this?<BR><BR>and no, i don&#039t want to use JS to check to see if the field is filled out, it should be the form submitters option to leave the field blank.<BR><BR>thanks!<BR>troy the asp boy<BR>

Paul Merton Guest

Default RE: Null Values in Access DB

There should, normally, not be any problems whatsoever in storing null values in a database, so I would recommend that if a user enters a null value, then this is what should be stored.<BR><BR>The problems that you seem to be having with storage of null values may be caused by the way you&#039ve written your SQL queries, or (more likely) it will be caused by the field settings in the Access database - You must check that your fields allow you to enter null values.<BR><BR>Hope that helps,<BR>Paul.<BR><BR>