Performance Question

Thread: Performance Question

Default Performance Question

Lets say i have a table in a Access and i have 4 columns named img1, img2, img3, img4. Is better to input each image url in its own column(not all rows are going to contain 4 images), or to put all urls in just one column and seperate by a charcter then split it in ASP. I would like to know which is more effective performance and size wise.<BR><BR>Thanks in Advance<BR>

Default RE: Performance Question

from just a performance point of view from the database, it&#039;d be better to just have one field.<BR><BR>But from a human programmers point of view, i&#039;d prob be easier to update and change if they are in different fields. That&#039;s assuming there should always just be 4 images.<BR><BR>Kinda personal pref.<BR><BR><BR>If you are really serious about performance you should not be using Access

Default Normalization Rules: Do not have array-like...

you avoid array like structures in your database. You typically do this instead:<BR><BR>Say Table1 "Info" has primary key/identifier "index". You construct Table2, call it "Images". This table will have all the img URLs. This table has 2 columns:<BR><BR>index and url (you can also have a ID field, which is a seed/auto-incremented to make sure you have UNIQUE records. If you have unique urls, then you make the url column the primary key). <BR><BR>The column "index" in in this case is a foreign key, which relates the 2 tables together. <BR><BR>What you try to do is normalize your database... ie. simplifiying it. This makes it efficient. <BR><BR>Here&#039;s a good simple tutorial (probably easier than my post here!!): <BR><BR><BR>Hope this helps.<BR><BR>Vadim C.