Please help

Thread: Please help

m j s Guest

Default Please help

In the code below, i have a function which gets the arguement passed from the borwser in the new window opened by showmodaldialog(). The arguement is recived perfectly in the function. But i want to use this arguement value outside the function & i&#039;ve tried many ways, but by far it is so that althought the arguements are being recieved in the variable getarg but when the function returns the very same getarg it is not recieved in the getargs var outside. No error is shown. Just that nothing appears, where i&#039;ve written response.write(getargs). <BR>If anybody understands the prob, plz let me know soon.<BR>Thanx<BR><BR>&#060;SCRIPT LANGUAGE=VBSCRIPT&#062;<BR> function window_onload()<BR> getarg = getarg & window.dialogArguments<BR> window_onload = getarg<BR> end function<BR>&#060;/SCRIPT&#062;<BR><BR>&#060;%<BR> getargs = window_onload<BR> Response.Write(getargs)<BR>%&#062;

Default like I said before

RTFM<BR><BR>read the f**king manual<BR><BR>

you know who Guest

Default Atrax's answer won't help...

Atrax, the TFM you want him to R doesn&#039;t really address this. <BR><BR>He is trying to use ASP code to get info from a client-side script.<BR><BR>Instead, start by reading the ASPFAQs. In particular<BR><BR><BR>That says "...from client-side JavaScript...", but really it applies to *ANY* client side code, including your client-side onLoad code.<BR><BR>Others to read:<BR><BR><BR>Especially all the LINKS in that second one. Especially the link to "ASP Basics".<BR><BR>This is fundamental to an understanding of client-server computing as implemented in ASP. If you don&#039;t understand it, you need to go get a good *TUTORIAL* book. The MS reference manuals don&#039;t really address this stuff, because they assume you already understand it. Which you obviously don&#039;t.<BR><BR>

Default RE: Please help

You are trying to call a client side function from server side code.<BR>When an ASP page is requested all server side code is parsed and rendered as HTML before being sent back to the client. Once the client receives this page the client side script will run so what you are trying to do will not work.<BR>I don&#039;t quite understand the reason for what you are doing but the window dialogArguments are avaliable not only on the onload event of the window so if you really want to see them you could use client side code to print them out (document.write) maybe by calling a function on your body onload.<BR>Other than that all I can suggest is that you really try to understand this concept of Client/Server code.