LOGON_USER problem continued...

Thread: LOGON_USER problem continued...

Greg N. Guest

Default LOGON_USER problem continued...

I&#039m re-posting this from last week to see if anyone else has any thoughts. <BR><BR>We&#039re using the NT Login to determine user options for an intranet app. We&#039re having a very strange problem with our application finding the LOGON_USER environment variable for three of our users. For everyone else on the system, we can find that variable, but for these three users (in three different states), that value comes up empty. We&#039ve eliminated the following:<BR><BR>- for each of the users, there are other users in their office who have no problem.<BR>- Since one of the users is here at our Corporate office, I logged onto her PC and the ASP found my login. She logged onto mine and it couldn&#039t find hers. So the problem must be something in her NT profile.<BR>- Everyone&#039s on IE4. I checked their Internet Explorer settings and they appear to be identical to everyone else&#039s.<BR><BR>Here&#039s a sample of my code. I&#039ve tried all kinds of variations. I&#039ve also talked to several other ASP developers here who have never seen a problem like this one.<BR><BR>&#060;%<BR>If Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER") = "" Then<BR>Response.Status = "401 Unauthorized"<BR>Response.End<BR>End If<BR><BR>Logon = Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER")<BR>%&#062;<B R>&#060;html&#062;<BR>&#060;body&#062;<BR>Here&#03 9s the Login: &#060;%= Logon%&#062;<BR>&#060;/body&#062;<BR>&#060;/html&#062;<BR><BR>If anyone has any ideas about this, it would be greatly appreciated. If we can&#039t get this working, it may be back to the drawing board...

Paul Merton Guest

Default RE: LOGON_USER problem continued...

Just a thought... are some of the users accessing the page through a web cache or something?<BR><BR>I had a similar problem when using Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_HOST") to find a user&#039s I.P. address. Because some users were going through a web cache, rather than directly, all I was getting was the I.P. address of the web cache. There is, however, a way around that particular one, as there&#039s another server variable that forwards the original I.P. address from the cache, but this is not documented in any of the stuff I&#039ve seen from Microsoft.<BR><BR>paul_merton@hotmai.com

Greg N. Guest

Default RE: LOGON_USER problem continued...

Thanks a lot. This put me on the right track to the solution. We go through a Proxy Server on our network and these three users didn&#039t have the option selected in IE to bypass it for internal addresses. Seems like the Proxy Server was masking their logins. <BR><BR>I enabled that option so they are no longer going through the proxy for the intranet site, and everything works fine!