Site Search

Thread: Site Search

Default Site Search

Is it possible to implement a site search without using cgi forms? I can only use asp on my server. How&#039s it done? I just need a simple solution - user enters terms into a form, hits a search button and gets any matches on the site.<BR><BR>Karen

Manpreet Guest

Default RE: Site Search

first check out<BR>http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/111098-1.shtml<BR>then<BR>http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/121298-1.shtml<BR><BR>bye!<BR>

Karen Stuart Guest

Default RE: Site Search

Thanks a lot! I didn&#039t see those articles...<BR>One thing though:<BR>"There are two "types" of search engines. Both take a search string from the user to begin, but what, exactly, they search differs. A completely dynamic search engine for a completely dynamic web site will hit a database table which ties an article URL to the articles description. <BR>Another approach is to do an actual text search through each of the files. In my opinion, it is much easier to write such a system described in Perl (which this system is written in), than in Active Server Pages; however, it is quite possible to write a text-finding search system in ASP. "<BR><BR>I was hoping to find a way to do the text search, rather than the dynamic way. This article didn&#039t give any clues about that. Can you help?<BR><BR>Karen

Manpreet Guest

Default RE: Site Search - you mean indexing??

u are pointing out to indexing(searching within files for keywords) . well i can tell u one very easy way of doin it. No coding involved!!<BR>just use Microsoft&#039s "Indexing server" which comes with IIS4!!. tell it the folder to search in.the folder of course is on the server&#039s hard drive and wolla life becomes much less painful!. to tell u frankly indexing thro a large number of files can get very slow(unless u can incorporate multithreading). indexing server does it in a jiffy.<BR><BR>as far as the perl thingie sorry!! really! <BR><BR>

hi again!<BR>could i get your email address so i can discuss this further with you? the questions i have are probably of no interest to more experienced people :-)<BR><BR>mine is: karen@waferbaby.com

Manpreet Guest

sure.<BR>manpreet@giasbmc.vsnl.net.in > sorry for the length!!!!