ASP versus ASP + Com

Thread: ASP versus ASP + Com

Default ASP versus ASP + Com

I have two waring factions, one for com, and another for pure asp. I personally like the tier approach. As far as application performance only, which is faster???<BR><BR>I have done tests on small scales that prove the component isn&#039;t much faster at all. I have over a million contact records in this database, and it may have 1000 concurrent users at all times, with the potential to have 10 times that amount soon.....which party is correct????

Default RE: ASP versus ASP + Com

Performance is limited by bottlenecks at some point in your application. If the ASP tier isn&#039;t your bottleneck, substituting COM for some of your ASP code won&#039;t speed things up much. No amount of componentization can help you if your database server is a P2-200.<BR><BR>Furthermore, the script & ADO engines in Win2K have been improved since the NT4 days. So if you&#039;re running Win2K the performance gain you&#039;ll see from COM will be less than if you were running NT4.<BR><BR>That said, one of the major benefits of COM -- a benefit that still exists in W2K -- is scalability. Especially if you develop your components in C++, which has better threading support than VB.<BR><BR>If you&#039;re going to have a DB that&#039;s that large and is hit that often, I&#039;d go COM for scalability, especially if you&#039;re running NT4 on your Web server. But for performance, I&#039;d first make sure that my DB server is up to snuff in both processor and RAM.