How to call other applications

Thread: How to call other applications

Default How to call other applications

Here is the situation: For my ASP page, a user selects a list of files. Then my ASP page retrieves the files info (path, version #, etc.) from an Access database. <BR><BR>Here is my main problem: I need to launch a program (Windiff) that will involve files on the client computer and the server. I am not sure what is the best method to do this. <BR><BR>I currently plan to create and launch a shell on the client computer, pass it the info for all the files. The shell would parse the file info and launch Windiff. The results of Windiff would be stored in a log file that the ASP would read. One of my concerns is that I might end up passing a VERY long argument to the shell involving the file info. <BR><BR>1) What is the easiest way to do this?<BR>2) What is the best way to do this?<BR>3) If I wanted to access files on the client computer and they arent in a share, what type of permissions would I need?<BR><BR>If anyone can answer any of these questions I would really appreciate it. Thanks a lot.<BR><BR>PS - My knowledge is limited to ASP (VBScript), C/C++, and XML. A solution involving COM would be very hard for me.

Default RE: How to call other applications

Well, what you are after sounds a bit confusing (like a whole project explained in one paragraph is a bit much to take in!). If you have any experience with VB then write some component that will initalise any programs with paramenters from with in yuor ASP page.<BR><BR>I once had a senario where i was havibng to execute alot ofother programs along he same lines so i ended up using a scheduler and getting my ASP pages to write batch files to execute certain mental things, maybe you could write a bat file to a cgi-bin with asp then erdirect to it so it executes?<BR><BR>Hope this gives you some ideas