Zero Length Files

Thread: Zero Length Files

Andrew A. Guest

Default Zero Length Files

I am having a hard time determining how to test for zero length files. I have an asp routine that reads a particular file and for some odd reason the application (completely separate) that creates the file doesn&#039;t finish its business. Instead it leaves the file open and as a zero length file. When asp goes to get the file, it can&#039;t and returns an error "Permission denied." I want to avoid that error.<BR><BR>Thank you,<BR>Andrew A.

Joel N Guest

Default RE: Zero Length Files

If the user account that the web server is impersonating to access the file SHOULD have access to it (usually that&#039;s the IUSR_MACHINE_NAME account) then the problem is that the other process that is creating the file still has it open, so your routine can&#039;t get a handle to it. If the file is correctly created and your routine works then the problem lies with other process that&#039;s generating the file.<BR><BR>HTH

Andrew A. Guest

Default RE: Zero Length Files

Yep...I know that. I am just trying to prevent the error from showing because as it now stands, my Web site gets blamed for the error when in fact the error is with the other process. So....not that I care about blame, I would rather send an error page that says how to resolve the issue. It is a predicament because the file really doesn&#039;t exist yet I am asking asp to tell me the details of it. I have advised the people who developed the other app of this problem, but unfortunately it isn&#039;t really high on the list. Does that make sense?

Default Trap that error

Set fso = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")< BR>On Error Resume Next<BR>Set f = fso.OpenTextFile("c: estfile.txt")<BR>If Err Then<BR> &#039; Inform the user<BR> &#039; Some other process<BR>End If<BR>On Error GoTo 0

Joel N Guest

Default Excellent <eom>

Andrew A. Guest

Default RE: Trap that error

Sometimes the obvious isn&#039;t as so.<BR><BR>Thank you