ODBC DSN Corruption

Thread: ODBC DSN Corruption

Troy the ASP Boy Guest

Default ODBC DSN Corruption

I have been having problems with connecting to my databases using the DSN&#039s that my web host has been installing. Some connections work, some work for a while, and some never work.<BR><BR>Here&#039s the scoop:<BR>database: access 97<BR>server: nt platform<BR>dsn: server based odbc dsn&#039s<BR>asp coding: hard coded<BR>connection: strQuery="DSN=dsnname;DATABASE=databasename;UID=sa ;PWD=;"<BR><BR>Now my question:<BR>I am losing or never gaining connectivity to the database (driver errors) Is this happening because<BR>a) i am uploading a new version of the database (with the same name)?<BR>b) i am uploading the database with changes to the records?<BR><BR>What could i be doing on my end that would cause corruption of the connectivity?<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Troy the ASP Boy<BR>

Rob Guest

Default RE: ODBC DSN Corruption

Troy:<BR><BR>Welcome to the ugly world of hosting companies.<BR>The thing that causes me concern is the "it works sometimes, sometimes it doesn&#039t"<BR>I a msure you have contacted them and they have told you tis your fault.<BR><BR>You might want to look somewhere else.<BR><BR>Rob

Default RE: ODBC DSN Corruption

Neither action should "corrupt" the DSN... How about trying a DSN-less connection? If you still get error messages then the problem goes beyond DSN&#039s<BR>

Troy the ASP Boy Guest

Default Dave & Rob

Thanks for your responses!<BR><BR>So what you are saying is that as long as the dsn name remains the same and the database name remains the same, I should be able to continue to connect to the database using the installed OBDC DSN?<BR><BR>I should be able to add fields or records to the database externally and then upload (using FrontPage 2000) and still expect continued connectivity?<BR><BR>Does the ODBC need to check what fields are contained in the database when it is set up or is it pretty much a stand alone connection?<BR><BR>Thanks again,<BR>Troy the ASP Boy<BR><BR>

Default RE: use a DSN less connection

you don&#039t have to use the dsn connection. you can connect directly to the access database using what is known as a dsn-less connection.<BR><BR><BR>stephen