Can't use GLOBAL.ASA

Thread: Can't use GLOBAL.ASA

Chad Franklin Guest

Default Can't use GLOBAL.ASA

I’ve developed a shopping cart, unfortunately it uses GLOBAL.ASA. I found out that my Internet provider that I have doesn’t support anything. They just supply the space, that’s it, so I need a way to convert the WebPages to do pretty well the same thing without calling the GLOBAL.ASA page. What am I looking at for doing something like that? Is there an example that you could point me to?

Ian Stallings Guest

Default RE: Can't use GLOBAL.ASA

Any code that is placed in the global.asa file can<BR>be placed in the .asp file also. The .asa is just<BR>application wide so you don&#039t have to put the code<BR>on each and every page. But put the code in the .asp<BR>file and it should work fine.

John Harvey Guest

Default Getting around the GLOBAL.ASA

What exactly are you calling form the global.asa? Here are some suggestions anyhow:<BR>- If you are using session variables, you could move to cookies instead. <BR>- I&#039d imagine you are using some sort of database, so you could put the DB connection variables into an include file.<BR>- If you were using application variables, you could try writing them to a text file, and retrieving them from there. While I know this is slow, it is persistent (you gotta do what you gotta do...)<BR>Regards,<BR>John Harvey

Chad Franklin Guest

Default RE: Can't use GLOBAL.ASA

I tried this but it is not working. I get an error message. This is what is in my Global.asa file.<BR>&#060;script language="vbscript" runat=server><BR>Sub Application_OnStart<BR> &#039Tax percentage to add to order total<BR> Dim stax<BR> stax = 0.21<BR> Application("taxP") = stax<BR>End Sub<BR><BR>Sub Application_OnEnd<BR><BR>End Sub<BR><BR>Sub Session_OnStart<BR> &#039Shopping cart array<BR> Const cartAttributes = 5<BR> Const maxCartItems = 10<BR> ReDim arrcart(cartAttributes,maxCartItems)<BR><BR> Session("MyCart") = arrcart<BR> Session("cartItem") = 0<BR><BR>End Sub<BR><BR>Sub Session_OnEnd<BR><BR>End Sub<BR><BR>&#060;/script>

Chad Franklin Guest

Default RE: Getting around the GLOBAL.ASA

I&#039m using session variables. Is it relatively easy to convert session variable to cookies. I don&#039t have a lot of experience with cookies.