How to return majority string

Thread: How to return majority string

coonabeast(at) Guest

Default How to return majority string

Is there any way to draw information from the database that is seen the majority of the time...for example if I had a table that looked like this...<BR><BR>tblJohnsGrades<BR>[Assignment, Grade]<BR>[Chapter 1, 79]<BR>[Chapter 2, 79]<BR>[Chapter 3, 83]<BR>[Chapter 4, 79]<BR><BR>Would there be any way to have a SQL command that returned &#039;79&#039; because it is the string seen most often in the column Grade???<BR><BR>PS I know that what is above is not correct SQL form, I am using an mdb file, I just wanted to set up a matrix to explain this to you.

Default RE: How to return majority string

You could try using the count() argument as part of your string<BR><BR>Select Yadda from YaddaYadda where count(yadda) &#062; MyNumber<BR><BR>or something along those lines<BR><BR>mj

Default Easiest way...

SELECT TOP 1 Count(Grade) AS Occurrences, Grade<BR>FROM tblJohnsGrades <BR>GROUP BY Grade<BR>ORDER BY Count(Grade) DESC<BR><BR>How it works:<BR><BR>First, all the Grade&#039;s with the same value are grouped together.<BR>Count(Grade) gets a count of the number in each group.<BR>ORDER BY says put the count with the highest number first (DESCending order)<BR>TOP 1 says only give me the first record in the result.<BR><BR>NOTE: If there are any ties, TOP 1 will just throw them away and keep one (arbitray) result. TOP 1 is, of course, optional.<BR><BR>So you do:<BR><BR>&#060;%<BR>Set RS = someConnection.Execute("...that SQL...")<BR>MostCommonGrade = RS("Grade")<BR>Occurrences = RS("Occurrences")<BR>RS.Close<BR>Response.Write "The most common grade was " & MostCommonGrade & " which occurred " & Occurrences & " times."<BR>%&#062;<BR><BR>Try the query in Access&#039;s query analyzer before committing to ASP.<BR><BR>