Plugin Detection (tough question)

Thread: Plugin Detection (tough question)

Max W. Guest

Default Plugin Detection (tough question)

&nbsp;<BR>Hello --<BR><BR>I have built some client side javascript (and client side VB) that detects plugins, based on various pieces of code I found on the &#039;net.<BR><BR>It is very expandable when it comes to Netscape, because it uses the plugins array, and searches for specific strings. SInce I can display the contents of the array, I can add new plugins as they come out.<BR><BR>IE doesn&#039;t use the plugins colleciton at all. I use VBscript to try and create an object, like this:<BR>-----<BR>FoundStatus = IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFla sh.5"))<BR>If (err) then<BR> FoundStatus = False<BR>End If<BR>-----<BR>If it can create the object, I know it has that particular plugin.<BR><BR>The problem is, I don&#039;t know how to find what strings to look for... I found a few (including the "ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5" used above), but don&#039;t know how to get more. If I could display the contents of Active X controls in IE somehow, like I do with the Netscape plugins collection, I&#039;d be set (since I could just install the Active X control and then see how it shows up...).<BR><BR>Does anyone have a method or tool -- or even an idea -- of how I can get more Active X object names for IE?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>M.W.<BR>

Default RE: Plugin Detection (tough question)

there&#039;s no way, really. you *could* trawl your registry file looking for progIDs , but it&#039;s boring work. anything in particular you&#039;re looking for?