ASP with !Chilisoft....Newbie Questions.

Thread: ASP with !Chilisoft....Newbie Questions.

Mortekai Guest

Default ASP with !Chilisoft....Newbie Questions.

Hi there, i am new to the field of ASP and my webhost have just installed an ASP emulator from !Chilisoft ( and now i am trying to set up some ASP pages.<BR><BR>There seem to be many ways to do this and i find myself running around in circles here...:(<BR><BR>What i need is help with the 4 basics in ASP and database management: Display, Edit, Add and Delete. If someone could help me with these i would be eternally grateful.<BR><BR>Acoording to Levonline (my webhost) this is a way to display a Dbase5 database:<BR>&#060;%<BR>Sub DisplayResults( rs )<BR><BR> response.write "&#060;P&#062;&#060;TABLE BORDER=1&#062;&#060;TR&#062;"<BR><BR> &#039; Write column names in the header<BR> For i = 0 to rs.Fields.Count - 1<BR> response.write "&#060;TD&#062;&#060;B&#062;"<BR> response.write rs(i).Name<BR> response.write "&#060;/B&#062;&#060;/TD&#062;"<BR> Next<BR><BR> response.write "&#060;/TR&#062;"<BR><BR> &#039; Loop thrue all records and write fields in the table<BR> Do While Not rs.EOF<BR><BR> response.write "&#060;TR&#062;"<BR><BR> For i = 0 to rs.Fields.Count - 1<BR> response.write "&#060;TD VALIGN=TOP&#062;"<BR><BR> if IsNull(rs(i).Value) then<BR> response.write "Null"<BR> else<BR> response.write rs(i).Value<BR> end if<BR><BR> response.write "&#060;/TD&#062;"<BR> Next<BR><BR> response.write "&#060;/TR&#062;"<BR><BR> rs.MoveNext<BR> Loop<BR><BR> response.write "&#060;/TABLE&#062;"<BR><BR>End Sub<BR><BR>set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>conn.Op en "Driver={Dbase};DBQ=/home/userA/a00xxx00/public_html/map_name;<BR>defaultDir=/home/userA/a00xxx00/public_html/map_name"<BR><BR>set rs = conn.Execute("SELECT * FROM databasfil")<BR><BR>DisplayResults(rs)<BR><BR>%&#0 62;<BR><BR>This works well for me, but i find it hard to alter the layout of the table and i would like to use a table within the table...:(<BR><BR>My test page can be found here:<BR><BR><BR>If i could get more control over the layout and be able to choose which fields within the database to use that would be it for the display page.<BR><BR>Then i need a page to add/edit/delete entries........<BR><BR>If you want to email me about this you can do that at:<BR>

Mortekai Guest

Default RE: ASP with !Chilisoft....Newbie Questions.

btw...i should mention that for some reason this emulator can not apply Access databases, but i can export them as Dbase5 files and that works just fine....

Default Nothing to do with ChiliSoft, really...

You just need to learn how to work with ASP in general and ADO in particular.<BR><BR>All you have there is a "generic" table-dumper routine. It&#039;s purpose is just to prove to you that you have a connection to your database and that all your data is really there.<BR><BR>Beyond this, you need to start learning what ASP is capable of.<BR><BR>If you don&#039;t have a good ASP book, consider getting one. If you want to try to look at some on-line material, you might start with, especially with the "database lessons." In those lessons are some "Full Cycle" database samples, for add/edit/update, etc. Be aware of the differences in connecting to the DB, but the rest of the code should be generic enough to be usable.<BR><BR>