SQL Server too busy?

Thread: SQL Server too busy?

Dimple Guest

Default SQL Server too busy?

I have a desktop application (VB 6.0,ADO2.5,XML2.0) that extracts data froma SQL Server 7.0 database. While running this app (in VB itself, not as an exe) I have got the following runtime error, although very rarely.<BR><BR>Run time error<BR>-2147220504(800403e8)<BR>UnHandled Error/Unspecifed Error<BR><BR>If I choose the "Debug" button, and run the aplication again after a while, it resumes successfully. My guess is that this usually happens only when the database server being accessed is very busy.<BR><BR>There is a whole lot of database access being done in the application. Most queries are big , nested Shape queries that retrive data into XML objects. The application has references to a custom object model that builds the complex queries. This model in turn calls a data access layer to actually run the queries.<BR><BR>This problem has been an obsacle in making a setup package. How do I get a workaround? Can I trap this kind of an error?<BR>Any help with this will be highly appreciated. <BR>

Default RE: SQL Server too busy?

Upgrade to SQL 2000 and use the FOR XML Queries to get your recordsets instead of the SHAPE queries that eat up a lot of processing.<BR>

Dimple Guest

Default RE: SQL Server too busy?

Well, we do not have the time to redo all the queries in the entire object model. The aim is to trap the error (that occurs rarely) and get a workaround. <BR>Any suggestions for the workaround?