Sorting a recordset? Or a better way to do this .

Thread: Sorting a recordset? Or a better way to do this .

Meehu Guest

Default Sorting a recordset? Or a better way to do this .

I&#039;m trying to display a list of products in a select list. The product names will be pulled from an Oracle database. Currently, there are around 470 different products, so I want to be able to put links on the top of the page that will let the user select an alphabetical category (e.g. "A", "B-C", etc.) and list only the products that fall in that category. That way, there should never be more than 40 or so products listed at a time. I&#039;m trying to figure out what the best way would be to implement that, though. <BR><BR>I&#039;ve thought of a couple of possibilities, but I&#039;m not sure that any of them are the way to go:<BR><BR>I don&#039;t think I want to be requerying the database, so I&#039;m assuming I should pull all of the records down into a single recordset sorted by name. Then, I thought that I could perhaps cycle through the recordset once and copy each record into a separate recordset for the category that it should fall into? <BR><BR>Since all of the processing and the creation of the list is server-side, though, I can only change the contents of the list by completely refreshing the page, right? And to keep from requerying the database I would have to pass the recordset back to the page somehow. Is there a reasonable way to do this? Or is there another way to go about generating the list?

Default one way would be to....

extract all the data in one go into a local array, then use remote scripting from the browser to pull data from this array into a clent-side listbox (or another control) without having to load the page again.

Default Your stuck with requerying the db

unless you want to use xml data island or session var with a rs in it etc. Requerying is ok no big deal on resources as user gets a&#039;s say looks at lis for 30 seconds, looks at b&#039;s etc. No major hog on server so to do this do<BR><BR>&#060;a href="getdata.asp?aplha=a"&#062;a&#060;/a&#062; &#039;say for link<BR><BR>in getdata.asp do <BR>dim strAlpha, strSQL<BR><BR>strAlpha = Request.Querystring("Alpha")<BR><BR>strSQL = "Select Field1, Field2 From Table1 Where Field1 Like &#039;" & Alpha & "*&#039;"<BR><BR><BR>etc<BR><BR>assuming * is the wildcard fro oracle may be something else do some r&d on this to find out.