Format a number - please help me

Thread: Format a number - please help me

Tonya in Florida Guest

Default Format a number - please help me

Hi,<BR><BR>I&#039m not sure how to go about writing a function or subroutine for that matter. I&#039ve searched various sites without success in finding good examples. I need to format a number (user input from a html form) e.g. 9711970. This number needs to be formatted to represent 97-0011970 ...where the prefix consists of two digits and a hyphen, and the rest is seven digits long where 11970 must be padded with leading zeros to make up the total of seven digits. Any help would be appreciated. THanks.

Default RE: Format a number - please help me

This code is approximate, just use it as a guideline.<BR><BR>dim frmNumber<BR>dim leftNumber<BR>dim rightNumber<BR>dim finalOutput<BR>frmNumber = request.form("&#060;formItem&#062;")<BR>leftNumber = left(frmNumber, 2)<BR>rightNumber = mid(frmNumber, 3)<BR>do while len(rightNumber) &#060; 7<BR>rightNumber = "0" & rightNumber<BR>loop<BR>finalOutput = leftNumber & "-" & rightNumber

KPW Guest

Default RE: Format a number - please help me

&#060;%<BR>Dim iSuffix &#039 --- the last digits (i.e., 11970) ---<BR>Dim sSuffix &#039 --- iSuffix converted to a string ---<BR><BR>&#039 --- determine the value of iSuffix ---<BR>... &#039 I assume you already have this part down<BR><BR>sSuffix = CStr(iSuffix)<BR>if Len(sSuffix) &#060; 6 then<BR> sSuffix = "0" & sSuffix<BR>end if<BR>if Len(sSuffix) &#060; 7 then<BR> sSuffix = "0" & sSuffix<BR>end if<BR><BR>&#039 --- sSuffix should now look like "0011970" ---<BR>%&#062;<BR><BR>Yes, this means that now your last seven digits are a string instead of a number. I don&#039t know if you require that it be a number. However, if it has to be a number then I&#039m not sure if there&#039s a way to display leading zeros.<BR><BR>I guess another way to do it would be:<BR>&#060;%<BR>&#039 --- going off the code above ---<BR>if iSuffix &#060; 100000 then<BR> sSuffix = "0" & CStr(iSuffix)<BR>end if<BR>if iSuffix &#060; 1000000 then<BR> sSuffix = "00" & CStr(iSuffix)<BR>end if<BR>%&#062;<BR><BR>Let me know if this gets you anywhere.