Clicking a link that doesn't go anywhere

Thread: Clicking a link that doesn't go anywhere

Default Clicking a link that doesn't go anywhere

Hey guys -<BR><BR>I&#039;m nearly tearing my hair out about where to start on this one! A Microsoft page directed me to you guys, goes...<BR><BR>Is it possible to have a link to an ASP page that updates a database (e.g. "Delete.asp?id=3") that DOES NOT serve up a new page? My application has a table of data, with links to delete or approve each row, but the users complain it&#039;s too slow because I make the page refresh each time they click a link. Can you just click a link that tells the server to do something, without changing/refreshing the page?<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR><BR>Thomas, IT Consultant

Default RE: Clicking a link that doesn't go anywhere

You have to do the round trip to the server, the best way is to hide this from the user by using one of the following methods:<BR><BR>&#062; IFRAME<BR><BR>&#062; Hidden Frame<BR><BR>&#062; ActiveX control.<BR><BR>I would recommend you use a Hidden frame as it uses old technology that works with most browsers, basically create a frameset with one frame of 0 size, this will be used for the database updating scripts, the main page does not have to refresh, you can just use a bit of Javascript to interact with the hidden frame.