Display WORD document in the Browser.

Thread: Display WORD document in the Browser.

Default Display WORD document in the Browser.

I want to display WORD documents on the browser. These documents keep changing regularly and also the no. of documents keep increasing. So I DONT want to save the word as HTML and keep publishing it. Is there any way I can display the WORD documments directly on the browser. <BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Jaggi

Michael Swanson Guest

Default RE: Display WORD document in the Browser.

The first choice would be to require IE 5.x, since it will display Word documents in-place (as long as the user has Word installed). Of course, this isn&#039t usually practical unless you&#039re in a controlled intranet environment.<BR><BR>The solution we elected to use is a product called Net-It Central (http://www.net-it.com/). It will watch a set of directories on your file server (or local drive), and when any of them change, Net-It will automatically convert the document to a proprietary format that is then delivered 100% to their slim Java component. It works great.<BR><BR>It isn&#039t a perfect solution, since it will sometimes stop on password-protected files or spreadsheets that are linked, but it will timeout and the document will simply not convert. It works by installing a special print driver that sends the document to the associated application and captures this special print output. Because of this, it will look exactly the way it prints.<BR><BR>I know there are others out there, but we&#039ve had good luck with this one.<BR><BR>Michael Swanson, MCSE, MCP+Internet<BR>Webmaster<BR>Donnelly Corporation<BR>mike.swanson@donnelly.com

Espen (epsen@hotmail.com) Guest

Try this:<BR><BR>Create a .reg file, for example word_ie.reg:<BR>Insert this;<BR><BR>REGEDIT4<BR><BR>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTWord.Document.8]<BR>"BrowserFlags"=dword:00000000<BR><BR>Save and doubleclik the file.<BR><BR>Espen

Sagan Guest

Use Office 2000 :) You can have a Word Document Saved as .html file, and view it almost perfectly in IE 4/5. Then, when you open the SAME .html in Word, you have full WORD functionality. Works great, again mainly in an Intranet.