Recursive display from a database

Thread: Recursive display from a database

Mitch Trope Guest

Default Recursive display from a database

I am using the following recursive function to cycle through the messages in a message board to try and build the display so the messages all appear correctly. The function was originally written for use with an Access database, and now I&#039;m trying to port it to SQL Server 7. The error I&#039;m getting:<BR><BR>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error &#039;80004005&#039; <BR>[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Connection is busy with results for another hstmt <BR><BR>/forumtest/Message.asp, line 40<BR><BR>The line number corresponds to the Set Rst=objConn.Execute(...) statement. This appears to occur on the second time the function is called. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.<BR><BR>Function Code:<BR>public sub buildtree(messID, level)<BR> Dim Rst<BR> Set Rst = objConn.Execute("Select * from Forums where forumID=" & Mforum & " ORDER BY dateCreated DESC")<BR> Rst.Filter = "messageID = " & messID<BR> Response.write "&#060;TR&#062;"<BR> Response.write("&#060;TD&#062;" & trim(Rst.Fields("author")) & "&#060;/TD&#062;")<BR> Response.write "&#060;td&#062;" & FormatDateTime(Rst.Fields("dateCreated"),2) & "&#060;/td&#062;"<BR> Response.write "&#060;TD&#062;" <BR> for i=1 to cint(level)<BR> Response.write trim(IndentStr)<BR> next<BR> Response.write "&#060;a href=""Message.asp?messageid=" & Rst.Fields("messageID") & """&#062;"<BR> Response.write trim(Rst.Fields("subject")) & "&#060;/a&#062;&#060;/TD&#062;" & vbcrlf<BR> Response.Write "&#060;/tr&#062;"<BR> Rst.Filter = "replyTo = " & messID<BR> if not (Rst.EOF and Rst.bof) then<BR> Rst.movefirst<BR> while not Rst.eof<BR> buildtree Rst("messageID"), level+1<BR> Rst.movenext<BR> wend<BR> end if<BR>end sub<BR><BR>Called by (code from body of page):<BR> dim threads<BR> Set threads = objConn.Execute("SELECT * from Forums where forumID=" & Mforum & " and replyTo=messageID order by dateCreated DESC")<BR> threads.movefirst<BR> Response.Write "&#060;table&#062;"<BR> while not threads.eof<BR> buildtree threads("messageID"), 0<BR> threads.movenext<BR> wend

Default This is poor design...

...I think the FAQs on this web site offer some sample threaded forums. Making this many return trips to the database is a very, very bad idea. It&#039;ll never stand up to any kind of real traffic regardless of the DB you are using.

the other steve Guest

Default RE: This is poor design...

It appears to me that you are repeatedly creating recordsets and, if using access, there is a limit to how many you can open at once, and you wouldn&#039;t want unlimited recordsets open anyway since it could bring your whole system to a halt.<BR><BR>the solution, as the previous comment suggested, is to redesign your algorithm to avoid recursive calls. I would recommend using MSDatashape, which is specifically designed for stuff like this. Or perhaps save the recordsets to an array before you open the next one.<BR><BR>I don&#039;t think repeated calls to get recordsets is bad, you just shouldn&#039;t have the server opening many at once. They should be opened, used or saved to an array and destroyed.<BR><BR>Or you should drink more.