Trouble passing back data to a page.

Thread: Trouble passing back data to a page.

Default Trouble passing back data to a page.

Hi Guys,<BR><BR>I have a form on a page which has a text area on it. I have set the minimum and maximum character limits for this text area to 200 and 5000 respectfully. I use the ASP function Len()to find the length of the text and send it back if it is too short/long using a cookie to allow it to be redisplayed inside the text area along with a message telling them to shorten/lengthen it. This works fine but when the character length is over 5000 nothing is passed back.<BR><BR>Maybe the cookie won&#039;t let me pass back that much. Or maybe something else is wrong. Do you know if there is a limit to the amount of data allowed to be passed back? And is there another way to pass back this amount of data? If I know the size limit of passing back data I could try to use two cookies to pass back the full text area.<BR><BR>Could anyone comment on this and and throw any light at it or maybe suggest anything better?<BR><BR>Thanx for your help.<BR><BR>Jarvis

Default RE: Trouble passing back data to a page.

You could do this in javascript instead of using the Len() function.<BR><BR>In the &#060;form&#062; tag use the "onSubmit" attribute that calls a javascript function and counts your &#060;textarea&#062; then an alert() will go off.<BR><BR><BR>Otherwise <BR>Is your &#060;form&#062; using the GET or POST method ?<BR>Using GET has a limitation (kind of ~1800 character) not sure.<BR><BR>Try :<BR><BR>&#060;%<BR>&#039;Your vbscript code...<BR>%&#062;<BR><BR>&#060;!--Then some javascript--&#062;<BR>&#060;script language="javascript"&#062;<BR>window.history.back <BR>&#060;/script&#062;<BR><BR>&#060;!--It simulates a BACK button click--&#062;