Data Type Mismatch with Number (not date)

Thread: Data Type Mismatch with Number (not date)

Ceejay Guest

Default Data Type Mismatch with Number (not date)

Trying to check an employee number and last four digits in the SSN posted from a form against a database with EmpID and SSN formatted as numbers (long integer). Script for the query is as follows:<BR><BR>&#060;% Response.buffer=True<BR><BR>Dim Cm, Rs, SSN, EmpID<BR><BR>SSN=Request.Form("SSN")<BR>EmpID=Requ est.Form("EmpID")<BR><BR>Session("SSN") rm("SSN")<BR>Session("EmpID")=request.form("EmpID" ) <BR>Set Cm = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")<BR><BR> Cm.ActiveConnection = "DSN=webdata;DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver(*.mdb)}"<BR><BR> Cm.CommandText = "SELECT * FROM tblEmpData WHERE " & _<BR> "SSN=&#039;" & Request.Form("SSN") & "&#039; AND " & _<BR> "EmpID=&#039;" & Request.Form("EmpID") & "&#039; "<BR><BR> Cm.CommandType = 1<BR> <BR> <BR> Set Rs = Cm.Execute<BR><BR>Running the script produces the &#039;data type mismatch&#039; error in the criteria statement. What am I missing? Thanks for any help.<BR>

Default Read the ASPFAQ again...

...when you compare vs. numeric fields you MUST NOT use &#039;...&#039; around the values you are comparing to.<BR><BR>Note that this will *NOT* help you compare last 4 digits of SSN! (Assuming that the DB contains all digits...if it only contains 4 then you are in fine shape...except for the bogus &#039;...&#039; stuff.)<BR><BR>

Bill Wallace Guest

Default RE: Data Type Mismatch with Number (not date)

The single quotes around the variables<BR>in your SELECT statement make them strings.<BR><BR>You might also want to try:<BR><BR>Session("SSN")=CInt(request.form("SSN" ))<BR>Session("EmpID")=CInt(request.form("EmpID")) <BR><BR>or maybe CLong<BR><BR>and<BR><BR>Cm.CommandText = "SELECT * FROM tblEmpData WHERE " & _<BR>"SSN=" & SSN & " AND " & _<BR>"EmpID=" & EmpID<BR><BR><BR>

Ceejay Guest

Default RE: Data Type Mismatch with Number (not date)

Thanks, Bill Wallace- The trees and the forest syndrome- I feel like I just walked smack into a tree. The quotes and apostrophes seem to give me the worst time. Thanks again for a sincere response.