Detect OS

Thread: Detect OS

Michael W. Guest

Default Detect OS

Howdy!<BR><BR>I&#039;m trying to determine whether a person is <BR>1) using a Mac or Windows<BR>2) IE or Netscape<BR><BR>on the server side using ASP. I know Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_USER_AGENT") will give me the general information, but is there a way of finding specifically the OS and specifically the browser. In other words USER_AGENT will give me the information all put together, I want something that will give me the OS, and something else that will give me the browser type. Any help would greatly be appriciated.<BR>

Los Angeles, CA

Default Why are you soo picky??

jsut do a instr and see what OS it is using.....<BR><BR>cant you code it??<BR><BR>split on ; the array(1) should have the browser and 2 should have the OS<BR><BR><BR>

Michael W. Guest

Default RE: Why are you soo picky??

I was under the impression that using ServerVariables("HTTP_USER_AGENT"), each different OS shows up differently. I.e. there could be five different ones for Mac, and several types of Windows (i.e. Windows NT, 98...). I&#039;m big on using i.e.&#039;s...

JeffR Guest

Default RE: Detect OS

You can use a client side script that will access the navigator object. This is an example of Javascript<BR><BR>document.write(navigator.appName ) - this will give you Netscape IE<BR><BR>document.write(navigator.appVersion) will give you the browser release<BR><BR>document.write(navigaotr.platform) will give you Win32 etc<BR><BR>document.write(navigator.userAgent) will give you OS specifics<BR><BR>If you wanted to get tricky with it you could call the JScript from the server side and input the values into a hidden element