RS Locking Problem

Thread: RS Locking Problem

Andrew Sinning Guest

Default RS Locking Problem

I&#039;ve posted this in the "basic" forum and have gotten no replies, so maybe this is an "advanced" question. Here it goes:<BR><BR>In order to do some performance testing on my server application, I&#039;ve set up a page containing multiple frames, each frame containing the same form. There&#039;s a button in the top frame which sets off the Submit in all of the frames&#039; forms near simultaneously. (I had to turn off the session state in the application program to allow this to work). <BR><BR>Here&#039;s the problem, about half of the submits fail because a record set is locked by one of the other submits. (Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005) [Microsoft] [ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Could not update; currently locked by user &#039;admin&#039; on machine &#039;GATEWAY2000&#039;.) I&#039;ve tried both optimistic and pessimistic locking. How do I avoid this? <BR><BR>Perhaps I should explain what the server is doing: Each submit includes user responses to 50 questions. First, the server creates a new record in a "responseEvents" table. This results in a autoNumbered "responseEventId" {n} being created for the response set. Then, for each of the 50 questions, a new record (responseEventId={n}, questionNumber={1..50}) is created in a "questionResponses" table. It&#039;s during the process of creating the 50 new records for each of the simultaneous submits that the error occurs. <BR><BR>Can anyone offer a suggestion how I might create a more robust server? Currently I&#039;m using an Access database. Is it time to "move up" to SQL?

Default RE: RS Locking Problem

You are finding that access eventually has trouble handling that many simultaneous multiple connections (it is file based after all).<BR><BR>If you are intending to build robust web applications and use MSaccess then it is **alway** time to move up to sql server.