Trimming out the fat..

Thread: Trimming out the fat..

Jim Rudnick Guest

Default Trimming out the fat..

Hi all..<BR>Wondering if I&#039;m doing this right? When displaying a user car web app onscreen, if I wish to add an item like "miles" to the number stored in the dbase in the MILEAGE field...this &#039;seems&#039; to work fine...<BR><BR> Response.Write(rs.Fields("Mileage") & ("&nbsp;kms.")<BR><BR>But when storing same back into the dbase on the EDIT page, if I just put the contents of that field back, I add the word &#039;miles&#039; over and over again.<BR><BR>Cutting out the &#039;miles&#039; from the content to be put back entails using REPLACE(stringName, "miles", "") where I just put nothing into that spot. This too &#039;works,&#039; but I&#039;m a little antsy.<BR><BR>Will this cause problems? If so, why and how do I get around this?<BR><BR>Jim<BR><BR>

Default RE: Trimming out the fat..

first of all, the code:<BR><BR>Response.Write(rs.Fields("Mileage") & (" kms."))<BR><BR>doesn&#039;t do ANYTHING to the database - it displays a string<BR><BR>secondly, how are you "put[ting] the contents of that field back"?

Heaven's Martini Guest

Default lyposuction

why are you "antsy" about that? whatever the heck "antsy" means.<BR><BR>are you typing in the miles part? if not, why not force the user to type in a number and give them a dropdown of the possible units of measure, if you are the one hardcoding in the miles part, using instr will work fine. <BR><BR>missing the issue here, but then again its tuesday.

Reggie Guest

Default Huh?

Replace() uses a lot of server resources, but I can&#039;t figure out what you are doing. Are you storing the mileage in only km, only miles, or both? Use some dropdown boxes to moderate what users can enter.

Jim Rudnick Guest

Default RE: Huh?

(Editorial Aside for Heaven&#039;s Martini...<BR><BR>Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary<BR><BR>One entry found for "antsy"<BR><BR>Main Entry: ant┬Ěsy <BR>Pronunciation: &#039;ant-sE<BR>Function: adjective<BR>Date: 1838<BR>1 : impatient of restraint; especially : FIDGETY<BR>2 : NERVOUS, APPREHENSIVE )<BR><BR>Hello All...<BR><BR>I guess I didn&#039;t put my concerns in enough detail, so here goes...<BR> <BR>I can show the number of miles a used car has by simple polling the dbase field and adding the plain english text "miles" after the number is displayed just fine.<BR><BR>But as this is an edit page, where the Admin can change any of the 160+ items that are qualified for each vehicle (like Power steering or Dual Exhausts etc. etc.) when I put that value back into the dbase, from it&#039;s onscreen place using...<BR><BR>&#060;INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="txtMileage" SIZE="9" value=&#060;%= Response.Write(rs.Fields("Mileage") & ("&nbsp;kms."))%&#062;&#062;<BR><BR> automatically writes that "miles" again, and again and again each time into the dbase when the Admin clicks on the submit button. That is, I&#039;d get 31,000 miles miles miles if the Admin had updated that car 3 times...see the problem now?<BR><BR>I can stop that by using the REPLACE(stringName, "miles", "") item, where I replace that "miles" with nada (Attention: Heaven&#039;s Martini, this is Spanish for nothing!)<BR><BR>What I am asking is, IS this the best way to cut superfluous items from data that is to be stored in a dbase? Is there another or better way, I don&#039;t know, hence my &#039;antsy&#039; feelings.<BR><BR>Can anyone help here?<BR><BR>Jim