To Justin -- Question regarding PWS and NTCR

Thread: To Justin -- Question regarding PWS and NTCR

kpw Guest

Default To Justin -- Question regarding PWS and NTCR

(Of course anyone else who knows the answer is welcome to help!)<BR><BR>Justin:<BR><BR>Yesterday you answered a post of mine regarding PWS and NTCR. You said you have a web hosted on a PWS server and have many folders set up with NTCR. How did you set this up? Did you do it in the Personal Web Manager? Or did you have to do it with NTFS?<BR><BR>Thanks for the help!

Default RE: To Justin -- Question regarding PWS and NTCR

i have an nt workstation with pws. you need to do two things two protect a file/directory:<BR><BR>through the internet service manager(ism) find the file/directory you&#039;d like to secure and choose its properties, choose the file/directory security tab and click edit.<BR>then uncheck "allow anonymous access" and check "windows nt challenge response"<BR><BR>now to determine who is allowed, find the directoy/file through the standard windows explorer or whatever and select its properties. go to the "security" tab and choose permissions then remove or allow permissions to specific individuals as you like. typically you&#039;d create a new group and add users to the group, then allow the whole group to the allowed permissions. make sure you still allow full administrator access ;-)<BR><BR>when you create a new user, make sure you un-check the box "require user to change password at login" and check the box, "password never expires" and "user cannot change password". if you don&#039;t you&#039;ll get an error.<BR><BR>also, notice these users can now access your machine by physically logging in as normoal and if you&#039;re running ftp, they can login through ftp, i know theres a work around for this (I HOPE!), but i haven&#039;t figured it out yet.<BR><BR>you may (at least i did) have a difficult time finding the ism, don&#039;t confuse it with the mmc (although they show the same name on start-up), but i found it by doing a search for (internet service manager), then make a shortcut on your desktop (i still don&#039;t know where the real executable is hiding!)<BR><BR>good luck and hope this helps