Serious Problem

Thread: Serious Problem

the other steve Guest

Default Serious Problem

I&#039;m using datashape and I don&#039;t know how to check if a child recordset exists without getting an error. Here&#039;s my code:<BR><BR>SET childRS=parentRS("childRS").value<BR>Do while not childRS.eof<BR> blah blah<BR>loop<BR><BR>I get an "exception error" and I believe that it is only when there are no child records - meaning there is are no children for a particular parent record.<BR><BR>error &#039;80020009&#039; <BR>Exception occurred. <BR>/asp/full.asp, line 103 <BR><BR>This is at the first reference to childRS.<BR><BR>Am I missing something here?

Default RE: Serious Problem

Could do a<BR><BR>on error resume next<BR>SET childRS=parentRS("childRS").value<BR>if err.number= 0 Then<BR>Do while not childRS.eof<BR>blah blah<BR>loop<BR>end if<BR>err.clear<BR>on eror goto 0<BR>

the other steve Guest

Default back in a sec...with more info.

OK, The problem is not the existence of the child recordset. I have not idea. I&#039;ll be back in a few with a solution or a better question...

the other steve Guest

Default thanks

I&#039;ll keep that one in mind.<BR><BR>I put a simple if statement in front of the do:<BR><BR>if not childRS.eof then<BR> do while not childrs.eof<BR> blah blah<BR> loop<BR>end if<BR><BR>This may be redundant, but it seems to work now.<BR>