Changing browser settings on client-side

Thread: Changing browser settings on client-side

Ceri Davies Guest

Default Changing browser settings on client-side

I am currently developing a system that requires users to have their settings in Internet Explorer (Internet Options) set to -<BR>&#039;Check for newer versions of stored pages&#039; -AUTOMATICALLY<BR><BR>I need a script that checks the settings and prompts the user to change them or changes them automatically.<BR><BR>any help appreciated

Culture Guest

Default RE: Changing browser settings on client-side

Don&#039;t believe that you can detect the browser settings for page check. I would look at the default (which i think is "automatic") and then expire your content straight away.<BR>In other words<BR>Content.Expiry = -100000 (zero means expiry now, but the minus figure allows for time zones behind yours..)<BR><BR>You cannot change the client settings from the webserver (how dangerous would that be?)..<BR><BR>Also look at META tags for content expiry (as that is what the client checks)

Default Sorry

You cannot. As said by culture, that would be very dangerous. It was made a point by all browsers that no language could change the settings clientside like that. The best you can do is post a note or alarm or whatever on your site that tells them to set it. However making the user change their settings to view your site is not very good web-site design in the first place. So the best thing to do would be find away around that "need."<BR>For instance this page talks about a way of doing something similar to what you want.(changing the settings clientside preferences, in this case disabling the back button and finding a way aroud it by checking to make sure the page is refreshed to the newest version everytime the page is viewed)<BR>