interrogating a string

Thread: interrogating a string

Default interrogating a string

Hello,<BR><BR>I am trying to find a way to have a variable eg “127.66” (this number will be changing with every page request) then take the first character for example “1” and assign it a variable then take the second character “2” and assign it another variable. The only other catch is that it would also have to find both the 6s and not just the first. Any help would be very welcome..<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Clark

arjuna Guest

Default RE: interrogating a string

you need to write a function that first figures out the length of the string, then grabs on character at a time (strating at the left) - you&#039;ll probably want to put those values into a dynamic array<BR><BR>if you reach the end of the string at any point of this process, jump out of the loop<BR><BR>if you come across a "." then start at the very next character and, using Mid(), grab the remaining characters in the string and put them into a variable<BR><BR>voila!

Default RE: interrogating a string

Dim myArray(5)<BR>Dim i, j<BR>Dim myString<BR><BR>j = 0<BR>myString = "127.66"<BR><BR>For i = 1 To Len(myString)<BR> If IsNumeric(Mid(myString, i, 1)) Then<BR> myArray(j) = Mid(myString, i, 1)<BR> j = j + 1;<BR> End If<BR>Next<BR><BR>This will give you a separate number in each element of the array.