importing text files

Thread: importing text files

PJ Guest

Default importing text files

I&#039;m struggling with importing some text files. I&#039;m trying to import them to Access tables, although SQL Server 7 and 2000 are alternative options. Columns are separated by two characters ("/t"). In Access (tried this in Excel, too), when I go to indicate the character that separates columns, I cannot enter both. There&#039;s only space for one. So I should find/replace the "/t" with a single character, right? One of these files is huge. There is no way I could find/replace without the risk of screwing something up. <BR><BR>I got these files from a guy who exported from SQL Server 6.5. He also gave me a DAT file, but I have no idea what to do with that, either.<BR><BR>Any insight?<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>PJ

Default RE: importing text files

Well you could use the FileSystemObject to get at each line of the text file. And there you could do your Replace() and also do an AddNew to your recordset...<BR><BR>File Handling - How to open files, read/write to them etc<BR><BR>Several articles on this topic to choose from.<BR>Many articles are continued on other sites.<BR><BR>Best regards,<BR>-Paul<BR><BR> - Databases on the Web<BR><BR><BR><BR>