another stupid NEWBIE question

Thread: another stupid NEWBIE question

the other steve Guest

Default another stupid NEWBIE question

OK, this question has to do with virtual includes.<BR><BR>I&#039;m developing on a W2K machine with Adobe GoLive.<BR><BR>The root of this machine is c://inetpub/wwwroot/<BR><BR>My website is at c://inetpub/wwwroot/sitebuildfolder/sitebuild/index.asp<BR><BR>When I try to use a virtual include such as:<BR><BR>&#060;!--#include virtual="/common/header.asp"--&#062;<BR><BR>and then pull up the page using Internet Explorer and url<BR><BR>http://localhost/sitebuildfolder/sitebuild/index.asp<BR><BR>my machine looks at c://inetpub/wwwroot/common/header.asp<BR>and doesn&#039;t find the header file because I put it at c://inetpub/wwwroot/sitebuildfolder/sitebuild/common/header.asp<BR><BR>I&#039;m sure this can be fixed, and it&#039;s probably some problem I caused. Could anyone step through the process for mapping(?), naming(?), creating the virtual directory(?) or what have you that will fix this.<BR><BR>I can get into the IIS wizard to make virtual directories, but I&#039;m not sure if this is the answer. I&#039;ve futzed around a bit, but I haven&#039;t been able to get it to work.<BR><BR>I&#039;m very interested in usuing virtual includes since they save so much coding and I&#039;d like to be able to work with them on the development machine rather than on the production server.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance.

Default RE: another stupid NEWBIE question

why not copy the include and place them in a folder in the root folder for the site you are working on?<BR><BR>it&#039;d be nice in case you get hit by a truck, all the code for the site will be in that root folder.

Default Use virtual directories!

&#062; I can get into the IIS wizard to make virtual directories, <BR>&#062; but I&#039;m not sure if this is the answer. <BR><BR>Yes, it most certainly is! That way you can load up everything from your (new) virtual dir "on down" and move it to ANY OTHER virtual directory--on any other site--and everything is *still* relative to both itself *and* its virtual directory.<BR><BR>This is the whole *POINT* of virtual directories! (Well, plus the ability to have a Global.ASA in each one that separates the "applications" from one another.)<BR><BR>Do it!<BR><BR>