Database Access

Thread: Database Access

Louie Tecson Guest

Default Database Access

I want to develop an ASP application, which is to be executed locally preferably using Microsoft&#039;s Personal Web Server. This ASP application will record our daily activities into an MS Access database. <BR><BR>At the end of the day, I need to connect to the internet via my ISP&#039;s dialup connection and copy the records inside my local MS Access database to a SQL Server 7.0 database on our web server.<BR><BR>How do I achieve this in ASP?

Default Probably SQL-DMO

if you want an automated solution. The object is used for managing various aspects of SQL Server and if I remember correctly also handles data imports such as this. Although, I don&#039;t use Access so I&#039;m not 100% certain.<BR><BR>However, how to you intend to clean up your data if the process ever fails in the middle or doesn&#039;t run? I don&#039;t know how well SQL Server&#039;s import feature does at making sure the right data gets in there if you rerun the process.<BR><BR>I see many hours of data cleanup in your future...<BR><BR>You may want to write your own ASP admin page that uses ADO to insert/update the data in your SQL Server database. It may save you a great deal of hassle in the future.

Rob Guest

Default RE: Database Access

With a dial up connection this is not going to work very well if at all.<BR>The first thing I would do is ftp the MS Access database over to your computer. Then export it to SQL with the DTS wizard. But like I said this is a resource intensive process without considering the amount of data you may have each time. You will want to append new data to the SQL server database which may save you some resources and let you get away with it but no guarantees.<BR><BR>It&#039;s doable but I can&#039;t tell you it is going to be easy. <BR>The lack of bandwidth and likelyhood that the dial up connection will disconnect on you are problematic.<BR><BR>My .02<BR><BR><BR>Rob<BR>