ADSI referencing Novell Logon for Security?

Thread: ADSI referencing Novell Logon for Security?

Michael Loper Guest

Default ADSI referencing Novell Logon for Security?

Has anyone tried to verify intranet users against their Novell login. I assume you could do this using Basic authentication in IIS. Any suggestions or experiences?

Michael Swanson Guest

Default RE: ADSI referencing Novell Logon for Security?

We were going to attempt this, but the problem is that you don&#039t get "true" IIS security (i.e. NTFS permissions) by authenticating a user against NDS using ADSI.<BR><BR>You can certainly use ADSI to authenticate a person&#039s username and password, but you can&#039t then pass any real credentials to IIS to secure areas of your site unless you build in your own authentication to each page. Not only would this be a lot of work, it still wouldn&#039t be truly secure.<BR><BR>We ended up deciding to use Synchronicity by NetVision ( This software helps to replicate NDS account information to NT (it will synchronize from/to other platforms as well). It works great.<BR><BR>We also looked at NDS for NT from Novell. However, we didn&#039t want a single point of failure (i.e. NDS for NT fails and so then does authentication). It was also considerably more expensive. With Synchronicity, Novell can go down and NT is still available (including IIS, of course).<BR><BR>Once the account information is replicated to NT, it is trivial to simply protect pages with standard NTFS security.<BR><BR>Michael Swanson, MCSE, MCP+Internet<BR>Webmaster<BR>Donnelly Corporation<BR>