Users simultaneously writing to Access

Thread: Users simultaneously writing to Access

LeeAnnie Guest

Default Users simultaneously writing to Access

I have a website that is getting more hits than I bargained for. I know, I know.... so what is the problem with that, you ask? <BR><BR>Well, when users submit a form, they are receiving a "Update locked" error generated by Access. The problem is due to the simultaneous attempts to update the tables in the database at the same time. <BR><BR>I know that SQL Server can better handle multi-threaded transactions, and I will soon be migrating this website to SQL Server, but until my customer can procure a hefty purchase order, I must "make do" with what I have. <BR><BR>Has anybody else had this problem? What did you do to "bandaid" this problem? Did you capture the error and loop until the tables were unlocked? <BR><BR>Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice!

Default RE: Users simultaneously writing to Access

Rob Guest

There is no band aid. It&#039;s MS Access. IT was never meant to be used on the Internet or serve high volumes of data to multiple concurrent users at the same time.<BR><BR>You need to get an SQL account. You may have issues of database design that could help you but that&#039;s another can of worms and no guarantee if you already know you are over volume.<BR><BR>Wish I had a better answer for you.<BR><BR>Rob

LeeAnnie Guest

How does this help me with concurrent users?<BR>

LeeAnnie Guest

That&#039;s okay. Thanks for your response.<BR><BR>I wonder if there is a way to detect that the table is locked before another user tries to write at the database table at the same time....<BR><BR>Or is there a function or subprocedure that will automatically wait for the table to be available to write to? ... *crossing fingers*

LeeAnnie Guest

Bob A Guest

Default Maybe this could help

Some ASP Script<BR><BR>&#060;%<BR>Application.Lock<BR>&#039 ; All this dones is add 1 to var UpdateAvailUsers <BR> Application("UpdateAvailUsers") = Application"(UpdateAvailUsers") + 1 <BR> <BR>Do Your updating here<BR><BR>when done then<BR>Application.UnLock<BR>%&#062;<BR> <BR>All I do is lock the area that is getting updated<BR>then unlock when done. BUT I only have a small amount of users and it seems to work for ME <BR><BR>GOOD LUCK<BR><BR>