personal web server don't get it

Thread: personal web server don't get it

Brook Adams Guest

Default personal web server don't get it

I am running windows 2000 professional. I have spent some time trying to figure out how to get VBScript to work on my machine and failed miserably so far. I have copied an html file with VBScript directly out of a tutorial and placed in my Inetpub directory and this thing just wont run VBScript. I have downloaded the option pack 4 and the latest VBScript from Microsift but no luck. I think that I just need to configure the stuff I already have to make it go but I&#039;m out of ideas...<BR>Thanx,<BR><BR>Brook<BR>

Sven Cipido Guest

Default RE: personal web server don't get it

Under W2K you don&#039;t need PWS.<BR>But if you copied the file under inetpub/wwwroot and then in your browser you type :<BR>http://zzzz/file.asp it should work. <BR>For zzzz you have to fill in Or localhost or your computername.<BR><BR>Kind Regards<BR>Sven C.

Default Did you ever *START* the server?

I&#039;m using Win98 with PWS, not Win2000, so there may be differences. But...<BR><BR>On my machine, if PWS is running there is a little icon in the "system tray" that looks like a hand holding a piece of paper with a blue-green dot on the paper and a red spark to the top left thereof. If I hold the mouse over it, the tag reads "Personal Web Server is running".<BR><BR>If it&#039;s *not* running, you have to find it and start it.<BR><BR>Where is it??? I moved mine around, but it&#039;s in a folder called "Personal Web Server" inside a folder called "Internet Tools". In any case, the executable file is simply named "pws.exe" so you should be able to use FIND to find where it is. (On my machine, at WindowsSystemsinetservpws.exe)<BR><BR>Read *all* the getting started and help stuff. <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Default Oh, yeah...

Sven makes a good point: How are you specifying the page name???<BR><BR>You can NOT use file://c:xxxx to serve up ASP! You *must* use http://localhost/filename.asp or use your computer&#039;s name in place of localhost.<BR><BR>

Brook Adams Guest

Default RE: Oh, yeah...

Thanks Bill and Sven... this localhost thing works but...<BR>here&#039;s the html page I made.<BR>"&#060;% @Language="VBScript" %&#062;<BR>&#060;html&#062;<BR>&#060;head&#062;&#0 60;title&#062;this should be VBScript&#060;/title&#062;<BR>&#060;/head&#062;<BR>&#060;body&#062;<BR>&#060;% response.write "This is VBScript." %&#062;<BR>There should be writing above this line.<BR>&#060;/body&#062;<BR>&#060;/html&#062;"<BR>The VBScript part just doesn&#039;t happen.<BR>Why would it not recognize VBScript?<BR><BR>Brook

Brook Adams Guest

Default Ding! the light went on...

Yay! I got some VBScript to happen! If I call it blahblah.asp then it works... Thanks for the help... I&#039;m off to experiment now.