SQL Format of Date/Time

Thread: SQL Format of Date/Time

KdS Guest

Default SQL Format of Date/Time

I asked this question yesterday and received a partial answer. I am hoping that someone can be more specific. I am working in SQL 7 and I need to do a calculation on two datetime fields in the table to get a new "total" datetime field. I am not a SQL person, so I am having much trouble. I know to use the dateAdd or DateDiff function, but I would like to put it in the default value area instead of running a Select statement to make it work. Also, I want to get the complete datetime difference instead of just part (hh or yy etc..). Can this be done?

Los Angeles, CA

Default Not really sure what you are asking

maybe an example will help.<BR><BR>

Default Why SQL???

I *think* that what this person wants is output like this:<BR><BR>starttime1 endtime1 difference1<BR>starttime2 endtime2 difference2<BR>...<BR>starttimeN endtimeN differenceN<BR>---------- -------- differenceTotal<BR><BR>Where only the starttime&#039;s and endtime&#039;s come out of DB fields and the differences and the sum of the differences are calculated.<BR><BR>KdS: Can you confirm/deny this? If I&#039;m wrong, can you show *WHAT* you are trying to do???<BR><BR>ANYWAY... Apparently he/she wants to try to do this all in SQL. No idea why, when it would be easier to do it in VBS code.<BR><BR>I have no idea how he/she is going to get the total (last line) with only one SQL query (I don&#039;t think it can be done), but the real problem is the he/she doesn&#039;t understand that if you get a difference in seconds you can easily transform seconds into hours and minutes by integer division and modulo. I guess he/she thinks there is some magic function that will let you do <BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 15:30:25 minus 09:20:10 and get a result of 06:10:15<BR>Nope. No such thing. You have to do all the piddly little arithmetic yourself.<BR><BR>As for ADDING two datetime fields...That doesn&#039;t even make sense. What can it *POSSIBLY* mean to add<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 6 June 1999 plus 18 November 1972 ?????<BR><BR>So try to give examples, show the field names, show the table layout, etc. None of us seem to be able to decipher what you are asking, at this point.<BR><BR>

Default DateTime Answer part III

Now that you have added to your original question from yesterday and this afternoon (even though you have used a different post name) I have one more question.<BR><BR>If you are using MS SQL Server, have you even bothered to look in the "SQL Books Online?" There is a whole plethora of instructional information within on how to use not only MS-specific SQL, but basic T-SQL as well. It is not very hard to read and even comes with many relevant examples. Since you do not have a DBA, why don&#039;t you take it upon yourself to read this material if you have it.<BR><BR>If you would just show some of developmental code perhaps we could show you where the error lies. There is no magical, all-inclusive answer for every task you encounter. SQL is not as hard as it looks. Try scouring your resources, testing/re-testing your code, and posting it here for any help in between.<BR><BR>Good Luck,<BR><BR>Reginald