I/O Piping

Thread: I/O Piping

Jeff Yates Guest

Default I/O Piping

I am looking for a way to call an external EXE program and use IO redirection to send data into it&#039;s STDIN and retrieve it&#039;s STDOUT stream or redirect it&#039;s STDOUT back to the browser. Does anybody know if ASP is capable of doing this.<BR><BR>The only object that I have been able to find that I can use to call an exe file with is the WScript.Shell object and use it&#039;s Run method. If I pass in "command.com /c progName.exe commandLineArguments" I think I then could do DOS style piping/redirecting, but I do not see how I can send/retrieve the IO streams.<BR><BR>Jeff.<BR>

Default RE: I/O Piping

See this article:<BR><BR>Executing Applications on a Server Through an ASP Page <BR>http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/072199-2.shtml <BR><BR>That uses ASPExec, which automatically returns stdout as a string to the caller, I think.<BR><BR>With the WScript.Shell.Run, you&#039;d probably have to send the output to a file (you could use a guaranteed unique name based on user&#039;s Session.SessionID) and then read the file.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>