MSXML 3.0 install problems on PWS

Thread: MSXML 3.0 install problems on PWS

Mark Szlazak Guest

Default MSXML 3.0 install problems on PWS

I&#039;ve attempted to install MSXML 3.0 service pack on my Win98 PWS and it doesn&#039;t seem to take. I get a "Server.CreateObject Failed" when I use the commented out line in the script below instead of the XMLHttpRequest (Microsoft.XMLHTTP) functionality. <BR>Will MSXML 3.0 work on PWS or am I doing something else wrong?<BR><BR><BR>&#060;%@ Language="JavaScript" %&#062;<BR>&#060;% Response.Buffer = true; %&#062;<BR>&#060;%<BR> var url = &#039;;;<BR> Response.Write("&#060;BASE HREF=&#039;" + url + "&#039;&#062;");<BR>// var xObj = Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP");<BR><B R> var xObj = Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");<BR>"GET", url, false);<BR> xObj.send();<BR> Response.Write("&#060;xmp&#062;");<BR> Response.Write(xObj.responseText);<BR> Response.Write("&#060;/xmp&#062;");<BR>%&#062;

Mark Szlazak Guest

Default RE: MSXML 3.0 install problems on PWS--follow up.

I&#039;ve tried other MSXML 3.0 functions such as:<BR><BR>var xObj = Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.FreeThreadedDomDocumen t");<BR>xObj.load(url);<BR>var str = xObj.xml;<BR><BR>None of these work either. I&#039;m wondering if there was an installation problem. What files should be on my system so MSXML 3.0 works?

Amogh Guest

I have used this one on my PWS with WIN98:-<BR> set obj = Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")<BR>And it works perfectly and I got all functionality similar to that on IIS.<BR>I think You should try this.

Mark Szlazak Guest

Hi. It turns out that my install was bad. Microsofts MSXML 3.0 service pack led me to believe that just sticking it in would do the trick. As it turns out, you need to have there latest installer program on your system, then you install the MSXML 3.0 SDK, finally afterwards comes the MSXML 3.0 service pack. Then it all works as it should. However, the initial problem that led to the MSXML 3.0 upgrade was to avoid using Microsoft.XMLHTTP on the server to read remote url&#039;s. It wasn&#039;t designed for server-to-server use just client-to-server, although people do use it both ways. See the article, "Loading Remote XML or Sending XML HTTP Requests from Server Is Not Supported":<BR><BR><BR><BR>In MSXML 3.0 the MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP object is designed for server-to-server communication but its unavailble for PWS :-(. You can use MSXML2.XMLHTTP which is the MSXML 3.0 replacement for Microsoft.XMLHTTP but expect similar problems.<BR><BR>