ADO connection string

Thread: ADO connection string

Default ADO connection string

hi,<BR><BR>i have a database that i connect (DSN-less) using ADO and i&#039ve tried two<BR>ways(succesfully) to open the connection :<BR><BR>1. dbConn.Open "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" &<BR>server.mappath(mDatabaseLoc)<BR><BR> &#039 the location of the database is the web root mDatabaseLoc = "customer.mdb"<BR><BR><BR>2. dbConn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.3.51; Data<BR>Source=c:inetpubwwwrootsearchcustomer.mdb" <BR><BR><BR>can anyone pls tell me what is the difference between the two methods? and<BR>which is the better?<BR><BR><BR>thanks<BR><BR><BR>Vince<BR><BR>

2. #2 Guest

Default RE: ADO connection string

The first method is using the OLEDB ODBC provider to get to your Jet data. The second is using the OLEDB provider for Jet. In other words, you are accessing your data quicker with 2, but in 1 your are going OLEDB -&#062; ODBC Provider for OLEDB -&#062; Jet Provider for ODBC. That&#039s one extra hop. That results in a performance hit. Remember, the OLEDB provider supports ODBC connection string syntax for backwards compatibility ... and when it sees it it uses the OLEDB ODBC provider to act on your request.