Pop3 checking with ASP?

Thread: Pop3 checking with ASP?

Flex Guest

Default Pop3 checking with ASP?

Hi people, <BR><BR>I was wondering if there is an example/control that will allow me to check a pop3 email address using ASP?<BR><BR>There are plenty that can *send* emails via SMTP, but it seems as though there aren&#039;t any that can actually check email and display the sender, header and date on a webpage...<BR><BR>Any help would be appreciated :)

Default Open a socket to the mail server

If you are using an Exchange mail server then it is definately possible (through a DLL).<BR><BR>I don&#039;t know about other mail servers.<BR><BR>However, you may be able to query the mail server though ASP. I haven&#039;t had the need to open a socket using ASP, but I have done it through Perl.<BR><BR>You can open a connection to a given server, and a given port, and then send some text to the waiting server, identifying yourself with a username/password. I assume it&#039;s possible.<BR><BR>You may need to know a little more (more than me anyway) about the SMTP/POP3 protocol etc. From what I remember, to send an email it&#039;s just a matter of connecting on port 25, but some mail servers won&#039;t let you. To receive it&#039;s 110.<BR><BR>Have a look around and you&#039;ll find some tutorials on how to access a POP3 server using Telnet. This is basically how you&#039;ll have to access the mail server.<BR><BR>Sorry, not a solution, but some ideas at least...<BR><BR>Craig.

Default RE: Open a socket to the mail server

Hello,<BR><BR>I posted links to examples in advanced asp on Friday, do a search on my name or "read emails". It is Perl not asp as it is far easier, no dlls etc.<BR><BR>Mark