ASP, BLOBs and oracle 8

Thread: ASP, BLOBs and oracle 8

Default ASP, BLOBs and oracle 8

Hi All,<BR><BR>I need to pull some BLOBs from an oracle 8 database using ASP.<BR>When I try and access the BLOB field, I get an "unspecified error" occuring. I know that you cant just use a "select" on BLOB fields in oracle, so how can I pull this data?<BR>

Default RE: ASP, BLOBs and oracle 8

Umm...<BR><BR>"Unspecified Error". That&#039;s usually a Microsoft trait :)<BR><BR>Is it an "Unspecified Provider Error"? If so, I would check your connection - make sure that your ODBC is working (if you&#039;re using one), and that you have the latest version of DAO installed (version 2.6 I think).<BR><BR>Otherwise...<BR><BR>There is a problem with reading BLOB and MEMO types from RecordSets using ASP. Basically, you must reference these LAST, and if there are two or more, you must take them in order:<BR><BR>==== START<BR><BR>Dim Connection<BR>Dim RecordSet<BR>Set Connection = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>Set RecordSet = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet")<BR>Connecti on.Open(...)<BR>Set RecordSet = Connection.Execute("SELECT textcol1, textcol2, textcol3, blobcol1, blobcol2 FROM testtable")<BR><BR>==== END<BR><BR>This way, you must reference the blob columns last, and blobcol1 before blobcol2 in your ASP. I&#039;m not sure if you must reference textcol1, textcol2, textcol3, blobcol1, blobcol3 in that exact order, but it may be a good idea to try to. You may need to change your SQL statement...<BR><BR>Basically, movement is restricted in a recordset entry which has blobs in it. The whole idea of a BLOB or MEMO is that it is a variable-length field that may contain something like 2 billion characters. As a result, ADO does not know where the BLOB finishes and the following column starts until it actually reads the BLOB...<BR><BR>That any help?<BR><BR>Craig.