Can A personal Web Server Pe on WIN ME?

Thread: Can A personal Web Server Pe on WIN ME?

ED Guest

Default Can A personal Web Server Pe on WIN ME?

hey everybody i was just wondering how i would go about setting up a personal web server on winME? please help!

Default Yes...

Yes PWS will work on ME....Here are the steps...(Thanks to Bill James) <BR><BR>1) Download the newest version of PWS from <BR> <BR> Yes, this is the NT 4.0 Option Pack, but it includes the version of PWS for <BR> Win95 which can be used on WinMe with the following tweaks. After <BR> downloading Download.exe, run it and select the option to download PWS for <BR> Win95. <BR><BR>2) See <BR> Download the patch and implement per the instruction in this KB article. <BR><BR>3) Important! Do a Custom install of PWS, installing only the Transaction <BR> Server component. To do this, uncheck all the options, then check <BR> Transaction Server - it will add checks to the other components needed for <BR> it, but not the Personal Web Server option. <BR><BR>4) After Setup completes and a reboot, re-run Setup and add PWS. Reboot after <BR> Setup completes. <BR><BR>5) PWS should now work. Easiest way to implement using it for local copies of <BR> your web pages is to copy the contents of the entire local folder structure <BR> of your web site to C:Inetpubwwwroot (or the folder you selected during <BR> PWS setup). To clarify, if the local copy of your web site is in <BR> D:MyWebSite, with the default start page and all sub-folders located <BR> there, you copy all the files and sub-folders, but not the D:MyWebSite <BR> folder itself. <BR><BR>6) If you are using ASP and your start page is default.asp, allow your file to <BR> overwrite the default.asp file already in C:Inetpubwwwroot. If you are <BR> using index.htm or some other start page, you need to rename the PWS <BR> default.asp file so it is not the default page for the local site. <BR><BR>7) In your web browser address bar, type... <BR><BR> Http:// <BR> bring up your start page. <BR><BR>Good luck and enjoy. <BR>

J. Paul Schmidt Guest

Default Maybe use IIS

And here is another relevant link:<BR><BR>Personal Web Server Is Not Included with Windows Millennium Edition<BR><BR>"Windows 2000 Professional is designed for business users and contains Internet Information Services (IIS) 5.0. IIS 5.0 includes Web and FTP server support, as well as support for Microsoft FrontPage transactions, Active Server Pages, and database connections. Available as an optional component, IIS 5.0 is installed automatically if you upgrade from versions of Windows with PWS installed. <BR>PWS 4.0 is included with the Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack and was designed for Microsoft Windows 95 and Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 with Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.01 or later. Although PWS 4.0 is not supported in Windows Me, you may be able to install it in Windows Me for testing purposes."<BR><BR>Best regards,<BR>-Paul<BR><BR>J. Paul Schmidt, MBA<BR>Databases on the Web<BR><BR><BR><BR>