Protecting documents

Thread: Protecting documents

Steve G Guest

Default Protecting documents

I have a web-site running on IIS4. Users can attach documents to pieces of information and I store this on a web-shared directory. I control access to the application by requesting an NT login. I then test their username against a database. I want them to be able to click on a link to the document from the application but if they know the URL (or can guess one) I want to stop them from being able to see it without them being checked against the database first (i.e. when they haven't logged in to the application)?

Adrian Guest

Default RE: Protecting documents

You will have to search the database for their user and pass on each page!<BR>You should make one file and just use an include on the other pages.<BR>You should store their user and pass in a cookie, session or pass it along as a querystring (may be time consuming!)<BR>Then call the user: <BR>Cookie: &#060;% user = Request.Cookies("Logon")("user") %&#062;<BR>Sesson: &#060;% user = Session("user") %&#062;<BR>QueryString: &#060;% user = Request.QueryString("user") %&#062;<BR><BR>Then query the database where user = user:<BR>SQL_query="SELECT * FROM ??table?? WHERE user = &#039;"&user & "&#039;"<BR><BR>Then we can check if Pass = (Pass from the database)<BR>if pass is not correct it will be EOF so we can add:<BR>If RSLogin.EOF then <BR> Response.Redirect ("somepage.asp")<BR>End If<BR><BR>You will really need to fix this to work for you.