Should I use cookies?

Thread: Should I use cookies?

Default Should I use cookies?

This one is probably really simple, but I am going nuts here. I need to find out if this is the right way to go about this. I am trying to display information from an Access DB that uses for login information a table in the db that stores username, password and company name. The company name needs to be included in the SQL statement that selects the data for the table. I can&#039;t make the username the company name due to different users in the company seeing different information. What I am proposing is setting the username and password as a cookie that I don&#039;t put an expiration on so that when the browser is closed, is it gone. I don&#039;t know if this is called a session cookie or not. I apoligize that I am very new to this. To get back to the topic, I will then read the cookie for the username and password in the SQL statement that will then pull the company name and then produce the page. Any help is greatly appreciated. I apoligize that this goes a little all over the place, I am getting very confused on this one.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Josh

J. Paul Schmidt Guest

Default Cookies vs Session Vars

If you just want a variable for a user to last the life of a session (such as a username or user level), I would recommend using a session variable.<BR><BR>If you want a variable for a user to last LONGER than the life of a session (such as remembering a user&#039;s password so he or she doesn&#039;t have to type it in), then perhaps use a cookie.<BR><BR>Best regards,<BR>-Paul<BR><BR>J. Paul Schmidt, MBA<BR>Databases on the Web<BR><BR><BR>