Help with recordcount

Thread: Help with recordcount

Default Help with recordcount

Hi,<BR><BR>I am a beginner in ASP. I couldn&#039t get the right recordcount.<BR>To check it I did as follows:<BR><BR>SQL = " Whatever ...."<BR>set rs = server.createobject("adodb.recordset")<BR>rs.open SQL, "dsn=mydsn", adopenstatic<BR>response.write "rs.recordcount is: " & rs.recordcount<BR><BR>I tried using adopenstatic, adopenforwardonly, adopenkeyset, adopendynamic. All give -1.<BR>I am using Access.<BR><BR>Thanks for any help<BR>

Default RE: Help with recordcount

I too faced the same situation. If recordset is empty it returns -1 and not 0.<BR><BR>Hope this clears your doubt.<BR>Arvind

The recordset is not empty.<BR>I used this way to get the record count:<BR><BR>&#039 .... code here<BR>reccount = 0<BR>rs.MoveFirst<BR>Do While Not rs.EOF<BR>reccount = reccount + 1<BR>rs.MoveNext<BR>Loop<BR>response.write "The record count is: " & reccount<BR><BR>That gives me the right count.<BR>My question is, can I use rs.recordcount for non empty recordset with Access.<BR><BR>Thanks

Well I am not sure, but u can try this<BR><BR>Give this statement <BR>rs.MoveLast<BR>Then check the record count<BR><BR><BR>

try thisrs.open SQL, "dsn=mydsn", 3i too had this same problem.i wonder why this is.?
    ________
    Avandia lawsuit
    Last edited by Jay; 04-16-2011 at 01:30 AM.

Thanks Jay, Manish, Arvind for your participation.<BR>I think I should include a constant file (adovbs.inc ??).<BR>(I am still new in ASP).<BR>I found out the values of the constants as follows:<BR>adOpenForwardOnly: 1<BR>adOpenKeyset: 2<BR>adOpenDynamic: 3<BR>adOpenStatic: 4<BR><BR>It will work if I substitute 1 or 3. But it wouldn&#039t recognize<BR>adOpenForwardOnly or adOpenDynamic (unless I include a constant file??).<BR><BR>Thanks