Multiple recordsets

Thread: Multiple recordsets

Miggie Guest

Default Multiple recordsets

Well, I just have one question on design. I tried looking on your site but found nothing, so i thought i&#039;d give your e-mail a try. I am using mutliple recordset objects in my asp script to "open" up db tables (using Access).<BR><BR>For example:<BR>set objRec = server.createobject("ADODB.recordset")<BR>objRec.o pen "employees", objCon<BR><BR>set objRec = server.createobject("ADODB.recordset")<BR>objRec.o pen "register", objCon<BR><BR>The reason i am doing this is to add information from a form to two different tabel in my db. I do this on serveral pages, as well as creating more than 3 or 4 recordset instances in one script. I was wondering, if this is ok design, or will my application suffer in the long run. At the present time it&#039;s pretty fast. Its going on my company&#039;s intranet, so it will not be available to outside clients. But will it eventually get slow? And can aaccess handle multiple object like this. I&#039;d say for the meantime, the application will be used by about 500-2500 people, but thats an extreme figure. If you have any advice, i would greatly appreciate it. Also, should i be setting my buffer to false, and/or flush as well?

J. Paul Schmidt Guest

Default RE: Multiple recordsets

Be sure to close and set to Nothing each recordset after you use it.<BR><BR>And if you for some reason you need to use two recordsets simultaneously (such as if you need to use a little from one recordset, then a little from the other, then a little more from the first one again) you could call one recordset objRS1 and the other objRS2...<BR><BR>And here is an article explaining why setting the buffer to True is so good for overall site performance:<BR><BR> Buffer That Output by Charles Carroll<BR><BR><BR>Best regards,<BR>-Paul<BR><BR>J. Paul Schmidt, MBA<BR>Databases on the Web<BR><BR><BR>

Migge Guest

Default RE: Multiple recordsets

Thank you for your advice. To tell you the truth, ever since i started, i have practiced what you have stated. So, i&#039;m glad to see that i&#039;ve been practicing what prfessionals like yourself already preach. I just have an issue as to the speed of Access &#039;97? Can it handle the requests that i am making? Anyhow, i guess i&#039;ll find out. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.<BR><BR>